Tuesday, May 31, 2011

She's Ours....

After a harrowing taxi drive through the streets of Nanchang we finally arrived at the Civil Affairs office where we were to meet Lila. There were several other families who had just met their new babies after an excruciating five year wait, we enjoyed chatting for a few minutes and spent some time reminiscing meeting Anna seven years ago in a very similar room  also here in Nanchang. The Civil Affairs office has moved to a new building but the furniture all looks the same. Our guide told us that Lila should arrive any minute so we pulled out our cameras and placed our selves right across from the door so we could see her come in.
She came in looking a little unsure but excited and nervous. She definately recognized us right away. I was able to go over to her and kneel down next to her and put my hand out which she held right away.We just look into each others eyes, I promised I would go slow but I just couldn't stand it, I put my arms out and asked her if I could lift her out and she said yes. I scooped her up and sat down right there in the middle of the floor and Lila snuggled into me and I wrapped my arms around her and I got my first smile. I couldn't of asked for a better first  meeting. I'm not sure how long we sat there snuggled in each others arms but I do know that soon Daddy and Anna were  there also. We spent time looking at her photo album, and going through a little bag of goodies. She wanted to do bubbles right away and had so much fun with Anna, they just laughed and laughed. At some point we completed the essential paperwork, got photos taken for her passport and adoption papers, sealed the paperwork with her red hand-print and our thumb-prints and then we went to the Notaries office.
We were astounded by how much English she understands, and she can use. She and Anna were having fun poking each other and giggling when I said it was time to be all done with the poking game she looked at me and said "No, all done". We were shocked to the say the least but that is definitely a phrase she has learned and she says it often when she disagrees with me.:) She enjoyed singing many songs with us in both English and Chinese during yet another intense taxi ride.
She continued to be just delightful throughout the evening and had fun wrestling and tickling with Anna and Dad. She ate a big dinner here in our room and enjoyed exploring everything and hiding away all of her goodies in her bag. She really enjoys coloring and drawing and she drew just adorable pictures of Chris and I, she even knows how to print her letters and was quickly writing Lila, Mom and Dad. We  asked if she wanted us to call her Chaxi and she said "No, Lila", she does however answer to both. We were able to visit with Sara from Shepherds Field and learn more about their organization. We are so grateful that Lila was so well taken care of there for the last four and a half years. We also were able to Skype with the kids and grandma back home. Lila kept looking on the other side of the computer and couldn't quite figure out how it worked, she was a little unsure of how her brothers and sisters were talking to her. We are more than a little homesick this trip and are eagerly awaiting being all together as a family again.
We are so thankful for all of the prayers.... Kim




3 comments:

  1. Kim I am in tears. She is wonderful and God has prepared her for you family. What a joy and perfect first meeting. I cannot wait to meet her. We are praying for you and that you hang in there through the next wk or so until you will all be together.
    Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  2. So VERY excited for all of you -- what a smile she has!! Your heart must be exploding! And that little "attitude" the Shepherd's kids come home with .... yeah, that will be lasting quite awhile! :P Been checking the blog several times a day ... glad to see she is now and forever in your arms!
    MaryK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! We were one of Lila's sponsors through Shepherds Field. We had pictures of her all over our home as a reminder to pray for her. We got word yesterday that she was adopted. Congratulations. So happy that Lila is in her very own forever family. We love you Lila.

    ReplyDelete